Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where's the girl power?

Some old friends of my father (pasteurs from a large church in Kampala) visited this week. My sister was visibly shaken to have these "big people" show up unannounced. After greeting them on my knees, as Bagandan culture calls for, I helped hide the transportation of the good glasses from their shelf in my parents bedroom to the kitchen. We put them in my sister's backpack and she explained to me, "I don't want them to wonder, 'Why do these people keep their glasses back there?'" After serving them drinks we excused ourselvs so the men could catch up.

How odd it is to be thrust into unfamiliar gender roles. At first it was sort of amusing for me to play along like a game of "House". But I can't imagine to be trapped in this role indefinitely. Recently, I have become more annoyed with women's role in this community, and the constraints I face traveling as a white woman.

I spoke yesterday with a man who was on this program a few years ago. He told me about how he hitchiked his way across East Afrcia. There's no way, that as a woman, I would ever be safe doing that. Another boy on my trip replied, "Yeah, my motto is 'never say no.'" Well what about me? At times I must say no to protect myself. And if I say yes to a new experience, that experience will be quite different than a man's experience in the same situation. Not only does a penis grant you greater access to places and information, but it allows you to interact with indiviudals without fearing their ulterior motives.

Just this morning I boarded a taxi for town. I sat next to the driver who immediately struck up conversation. I'm very intersted in the public transportation system here, so I saw this as my chance to learn more and started asking him questions. Yet the conversation kept turning to me, and how the driver could get my contact information. "When will you call me?" "Can we travel together?"

I learned little about the taxi system on my drive to town. But hey, maybe I found a hitchike buddy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mags,

I am enjoying reading your blog from time to time. It is fascinating to get a first hand perspective of the challenges, intrigues and exciting opportunities that are coming your way as you make your way around Uganda. Do take very good care for yourself and all the very best! Talha

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting to see how women are treated in different parts of the wold? It makes you realize 1) how far we've come in this county and 2) how daunting the task is as we try to empower women in places where these horrific gender roles are so ingrained. How to change these patterns without tramping on a culture? What are women activists in Uganda doing?

Anyway, we love you here. Keep those shoes clean, girl!!

Stacie